Thursday, February 3, 2011

Let it snow! 2-4-11's post

  All of a sudden I found myself thinking sociologically when I was shoveling the snow from my house.This week we had TWOOOO snow days which is great, except for the snow part. My neighborhood was covered with a lot of snow. I had to shovel the snow with my cousin and we did it a lot faster than the man next door.This made me think of the puzzle exercise we did in Sociology, why is it that my group had the most people,yet we were second to last to finish?It puzzled me no pun intended.My cousin and I had one strategy and that was to divide the work in half, other than that we did everything on our own. That was similar to the strategy my group had while putting the puzzle together mhm, but they didn’t work in the same way! 
We learned about the role theory is : a perspective in sociology and in social psychology that considers most of everyday activity to be the acting out of socially defined categories (e.g., mother, manager, teacher).I think that since my cousin and I wanted to finish really fast, because it was cold we took on this “role”  in a sense our behavior changed and we did our work faster. However we were interacting with each other and had communications. With my group I think we all  took many “roles” of boss we all wanted to get as much as we could done by ourself , and then we lacked the coming together until the end. Like society we needed everything to function to work together. Since we had many disadvantages by not having the edges and the image of the puzzle we all took a variety of rolls and clashed, but at the end we were able to finish and hopefully society does too.

1 comment:

  1. And there's functionalism at work...too bad you had a situation of dysfunction pop up as well...

    ReplyDelete