Thursday, March 17, 2011

GRAPEWAY.

  All of a sudden I found myself thinking sociologically when I broke a folkway of my own. I probably have broken a couple of folkways without noticing or thinking anything of it at the time. When I broke the folkway for the project I totally was thinking sociologically since I was doing homework lol. The idea of dressing up as a grape came to me when I was watching Let's Make a Deal; which is a game show where participants dress up in costumes. There was a girl dressed as a grape and that was my inspiration. I dressed up as a grape by having a lot of balloons taped to me. I went to many public places and walked around. I went to Hobby Lobby where the manager came out a bit mad. He asked me why I was dressed up as a grape etc. I felt really awkward breaking that folkway because people were starring and asking me questions. However at the end of the day I had a lot of fun and enjoyed the whole process.COSTUME  LIKE THATHomemade Grapes Costume
This experiment besides having to do with a folkway also can have to do with functionalism theory and group terms. As a culture we all work together and do our job to fit in society; by dressing as a grape I think that I wasn't "functioning" in society because I wasn't filling any particular role. By me going to all the different store the people there were social aggregates (including myself)  we shared the same space, but lacked interaction. This of course wasn't always true, because as people approached me we did have interaction. I think I saw the Contagion theory in my experiment , because people laughter spread as a whole at the grocery store. A lot of the people approached me together and took pictures ( talk about awkward). Last but not least going back to the group term I would consider myself part of the out-group ( even if I was alone) because people were a bit hostile at first . This experiment taught me a lot , it taught me that I was more comfortable than I thought with the braking of folkways, that there are some RUDEEE!! people out there, and that society as a whole has way to manny norms etc.

1 comment:

  1. Interesting how you saw the wide variety of reactions when you broke your folkway. Goes to show that even though they are not written in stone, we totally know when someone is breaking one!

    ReplyDelete